Sunday, November 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Hunt!


My woderful wife let me go hunting for my birthday, so after a fun night of trick-or-treating I was off to Nevada for our deer hunt. My dad, two brothers (Justin and Jerm), and I met our good friend Bardell Saturday morning. However, we met Bardell at the wrong spot, so we spent that morning helping milk our friend's cow instead of hunting. It was a great experience and the milk was fantastic. That night we drove up a mountain to go hiking for some bucks. We parked the truck and Justin walked over to the edge of the hill that we were on and I saw he was getting ancy. I knew it could only be one thing...buck fever. So I ran up to him and saw him taking aim at a nice wide 3 by 4. Justin got him with one shot. So Justin got his buck with only having to hike 20 yards. That's smart hunting Justy, way to go.

Justin's Buck


We only had one morning left to get a deer for both Bardell and me. It was snowing a lot that day. Dad got us into a perfect spot and Jerm, Bardell, and I went on a perfect morning hike. When we came over the first hill, Bardell spotted his buck at about 90 yards, took aim, and got him. Just then dad let me know that there was a good 4 point close by. We hiked to the next ridge, and there they were. It was snowing really hard and I could barely see through my scope. I asked Jerm which one was the buck and he told me it was the first one. I got the first one at a little over 300 yards but it took a bit more than one shot like Bardell and Justin. Well as soon as I shot my buck, I realized that I got the wrong one. I got the 3 point in the group and there was a nice 4 point with him. When the deer all ran off, Jerm followed them and snuck to within 40 yards of the 4 pointer. So we were satisfied that we could have had him.

Bardell and Ben's Bucks



Well we all had a blast on the Nevada deer hunt. Thanks dad for the wonderful hunt, it was the perfect birthday present. Thanks Jaclyn for letting me leave you on my birthday and for taking care of Aidan and Ethan. Here are some more fun pictures from our hunt:

0 comments: